Banner cycler

1995 saab 900s 3 door

This is for our international guests and other non-danish speaking visitors.

Redaktør: Bestyrelsen

bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

1995 saab 900s 3 door

25. jul 2014, 11:50

hi there i'm a guy in denmark (Finderrup - Skjern) i do not know danish i am sorry ... i just baught a saab 900 and it's the first car i own ... and it has a few paculiarities about wich i can't talk to anyone ...because not alot of people have them....idk...
first off the engine is preaty wierd...i have no clue if it is injected or carburated.....because it uses aprox 14l/100km ...and the exhaust smels ALOT like gasoline....but i allso know that these engines can allso be turbo ....so it should be injected....
now, if the engine would be carburated i t should not act like this .... when first starting off in 1'st gear its very weeek, veeeeeeery week and i did not expect that at all from a 2 liter engine, and in second gear if i take my foot compleetly off the gas it dies..... and that i cannot understand at all ....from what i hear a 2liter should be able to idle in 3'rd gear...
soo in city trafic it is not a great car ....at all actualy...
but....when i get on a highway the engine does something even more interesting......so i am in 5'th gear doing 85km/h and i floor it compleetly and it takes a certain amount of time to get to 120 km/h.....and than (the realy confusing part) until 175 it takes less than that..... and i am just wondering how can this be, allso it does no have a rev counter so i have no clue what is actualy happening...the gears are preaty tall...i can get to 130 in 3'rd gear
and theres a big jolt between engine brake and acceleration ...i think it might be the engine mounts....
and should this car have power steering ...because it doesen't
i am sorry for my long story but i literaly have no one i can ask about this... allso you can answear in danish ....actualy anything is great...

Brugeravatar
tknage
SUPER EXTREME SAAB NET NØRD !!

25. jul 2014, 14:22

Did you just pay money for a broken car, or did this develop some time after the purchase?

There IS warranty on used cars, even cheap used ones. Seller can not flock a scrap car to the first idiot that shows. Problems with the servo (a '95 has servo) are a safety issue and should be addressed immediately! Talk to the seller about a solution. Sometimes, if the car was really cheap and repairs expensive, best ting is to let the trade go back and find a better car.

If the seller tells you things like "this is normal" and refuse to do anything, go to an independent shop (for your own money!) and have them point put any safety issues and functional issues that should be addressed. Not little things. but things related to engine/driveability. A good place is a FDM test center.

Chances is you lost money, now it's time to control the damage. Solution depends on what kind of money we are talking about and if you bought the car from a dealer or private.

More info = more help. :-)
Mvh. Thomas, Medlem nr. 710

9000 CS 2.0i 1997
99 Turbo, 1980
og9-3 SE 2.0 LPT aut. 1999
og900S LPT 1993
9000 T85 rosenkvartz
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

25. jul 2014, 15:05

....ugh ...i actualy signed a contract ...that says that ...i baught the car ...its mine now...i deal with it ... the not so bad part is that i paid 3500 crowns for it ... so i got on this forum to ask people if it would be realy stupid to put more money in it or just scrap it...that is why i gave the stupid long description. I like the car it is very comfortable and runs preaty well apart from when it is al low rpm it doesent shake or rattle no wierd noises ...no play in the steering ...it feels solid .i just do not know if the engine is normal the way i describe it for this type of car ...allso the 14l/100km fuel consumption
thank you very much for your reply i realy apreciate it and i realy like this car (it has the saab - scania badge it looks great i baught it because i know its just before gm took over:))
troels
SAAB-PSYCHO

25. jul 2014, 17:43

Hi Bordura and welcome to the forum.

I actually Think it sounds normally.

The power is at about 4.000 rev/min and togethers with the High/tall gearing then you get this weak fealing of the motor. I am sure you dont have the turbo but you still have the injection motor.

In Best case you Will go 10l/100km but with citydriving it might be 12l/100km.

I dont Think you Can feel the power stearing but the Car Was born with it. It Can be broken but it is A Heavy Car.

The Engine Mount though Could be broken.

The Car is Called NG900 or GM900 so it is A GM Car.

The question is if you Stick with the Car og buy another e.g. A turbo.

Best regards
Troels
melle
SUPER SAAB FREAK

25. jul 2014, 18:58

If you can't tell a carburettor apart from an injection system I would definitely take the car to someone who can. Not to put you off, but your description is very vague so better have someone look at it who has a bit of car knowledge. Maybe a forum member close to you can have a first glance over? From your description the issues can be caused by anything from worn spark plugs or vacuum leaks to sticking brake pistons.
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

25. jul 2014, 19:34

Troels[/quote]

the thing is that after seeing how fast this thing can goe i was thinking of buyng a turbo 2liter one but now i am put off by how much money it might cost to keep this one
....so my dilema is if i should spend money on it or just scrap it and i canot figure out by my self because like i said this is the first car i own and it behaves a bit diffrently than others i drove ......obviously every thing can be repaird and fixed :D i just do not know if it is a big investment ....(the last year it had from what i understand some gear box isues ..and the exowner a older guy who i not allowed to drive anymore paid 22000 krowns to get it fixed ....this repair is actualy writen in the car's book) so if this is the kind of thing i have to do than it would be preaty insane to keep it....
i i take it you have one from arround the same year?

thank you very much for your replie and best regards
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

25. jul 2014, 19:47

melle skrev:If you can't tell a carburettor apart from an injection system I would definitely take the car to someone who can. Not to put you off, but your description is very vague so better have someone look at it who has a bit of car knowledge. Maybe a forum member close to you can have a first glance over? From your description the issues can be caused by anything from worn spark plugs or vacuum leaks to sticking brake pistons.

sticky brake pistones are out ...i am realy sure of that....actualy realy sure....
i went to a auto service and the guy went for a test drive in itand he said that i should just use it untill it falls apart and than scrap it ....but he allso said that it is a preaty good car and the engine sounds realy healthy....so i couldan't figure out anything after that conversation ....about the spark plugs ....i had for a day or two a a warning light on the dash bord that said Check Engine and i read in the car's book that it is because of a spark plug ....so i taught i should take a look at them ....but if you have one i am sure you know that that is preaty hard to do......so i gave up ...because i have no clue about what i am doing .... if you would like to ask me anything at all i would ve ver very happy to answear
also if you have any idea where i can go to do that cheking ...or maybe a place where they sold this kind of cars ....i would realy apreciate it....because i taught that one reason for the 14l/100km might be because of bad compresion but i have no clue of how to even ask people to check for that

thank you very much for your reply and best regards
troels
SAAB-PSYCHO

25. jul 2014, 20:16

Well in your first post it doesnt seem like you think it is a fast car or is it only at low revs and then it become quick enough?

If I were you I think i would keep the car for a year or something to get more knowledge about the car. If there is a big bill coming then it might be the end of the car. It isnt easy to find a good cheap turbo NG900/OG9-3 which looks the same.

The one you have I believe is the cheapest one to deal with. The turbo can also break Down and isnt cheap. The newer ones with DI injection is also very expensive ca. 3.500 Kr. to buy when they broke Down, but normally they Work for around 200.000 km so it is only when you come to the day when you have to buy a new one. So it is not a cheap car - I decided to go for a saab Again after thinking about Skoda Fabia and other likes that. For me Saab is with turbo but as I said the nonturbo are cheaper to buy and keep driving.

So keep the car and start trying to fix it DIY. Not starting with power stearing but simple Things like changing oils or changing bulbs, spark plugs etc.

I have had 3 Saab. OG900 non turbo 1990, OG900 turbo 1986 and the new one which is likes yours an OG9-3 turbo 2000.
The OG900 non turbo should also be around 3.500-4.000 revs.
The OG900 turbo wasnt fast under 3.000 revs but then it just went crazy.
The OG9-3 is fast from 2.000 revs and to the red limit, but isnt. crazy at all when its not fixed. :twisted:

Troels
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

25. jul 2014, 21:21

So keep the car and start trying to fix it DIY. Not starting with power stearing but simple Things like changing oils or changing bulbs, spark plugs etc.

I have had 3 Saab. OG900 non turbo 1990, OG900 turbo 1986 and the new one which is likes yours an OG9-3 turbo 2000.
The OG900 non turbo should also be around 3.500-4.000 revs.
The OG900 turbo wasnt fast under 3.000 revs but then it just went crazy.
The OG9-3 is fast from 2.000 revs and to the red limit, but isnt. crazy at all when its not fixed. :twisted:

yup the car is slugash and conversome at low revs (i do not have a rev counter) but at higher revs it comes in to its own .....i don't think it is a heavy car tough....in the its book it says something like 1200kg ... and i can actualy pulll and push the car arround preaty easly with my bare hands :))
so i think you'r right about the engine if it was made for turbo aplications it would be normal to Not have the torque of a 7 seeter people carier. mine is not turbo but i can fet the engine pulls best after 2500-3000 rpm.
can you tell me a few things about the fuel consumption ....since i started writing with you guys i researched a bit more ...and i found out that when it was nef it should have been usint like 8-9l/100km ...and now it is using 14l.... and no city driving at all....you have any idea how i could change that ...or what too look at ......or what to ask at a autoservice ...... some friends said that the compresion rings on the pistons might need to be changed ...and thats why it uses soo much fuel and has lower power at low rpm ....(the car is 223400km old)... and the exhaust smels way too much like gasoline in my opinion...
thank you very much for your replies i realy apreciate it
Brugeravatar
Jensen
Administrator

25. jul 2014, 21:21

There should be a capable SAAB mechanic in Kibæk, but I don't have the address. That might cost you, but might also save you in the long run. If the Check Engine light is on, then he will be able to read out the error codes from the ECU.
There is also a way you can "blink" them out yourself. It beats guessing, but not by much since the codes normally are very generic and still requires you to do some extra checking of the related systems. I guess it could be the Lambda (O2) sensor, but really, it could be anything.
Your are lucky that the repair was made on the gearbox. They are often worn on this specific model, but now yours should be good for the next 200.000+ km.
Good luck.
Regards, Mads
Mads Jensen, medlemnr. 143
Daily driver: 9-5 Aero Turbo4 '11
Reserve: 99 Rally '71, 96 V4 '75, og900GL '83
Projekt sommerbil: OG9⁵ '99
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

26. jul 2014, 00:12

Jensen skrev:There should be a capable SAAB mechanic in Kibæk, but I don't have the address. That might cost you, but might also save you in the long run. If the Check Engine light is on, then he will be able to read out the error codes from the ECU.
There is also a way you can "blink" them out yourself. It beats guessing, but not by much since the codes normally are very generic and still requires you to do some extra checking of the related systems. I guess it could be the Lambda (O2) sensor, but really, it could be anything.
Your are lucky that the repair was made on the gearbox. They are often worn on this specific model, but now yours should be good for the next 200.000+ km.
Good luck.
Regards, Mads
is the fuel consumption wierd to you at all.....and the low power at low rpm and also the exhaust wich smels insanly much like gasoline?.... and this mecanic how would i be able to reech/contact him....i have no idea even where to start...

thank you verry much for your reply best regards
melle
SUPER SAAB FREAK

26. jul 2014, 00:38

bordura skrev:i have no idea even where to start...
Google? > http://www.mh-parts.dk/ (or in crappy English)
troels
SAAB-PSYCHO

26. jul 2014, 05:37

The fuel consumption is High but if you are mostly drivning in City then it might be correct.

Do you have check Engine light on?

The smell of gasolie shouldnt be there but if its a problem with lambda or not I dont know. But if there is no check Engine on I wouldnt Think so.
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

26. jul 2014, 15:19

troels skrev:The fuel consumption is High but if you are mostly drivning in City then it might be correct.

Do you have check Engine light on?

The smell of gasolie shouldnt be there but if its a problem with lambda or not I dont know. But if there is no check Engine on I wouldnt Think so.

do not drive in the city ....that is the consumption for going from near Skjern to ringcobing or Herning ...so it not highway ...just normal roads ....i do around 90-100km/h averege .. that is why i think it is preaty high...
the check engine light was on in the begining for like 40 km ...because from what i understand the exowner did not drive the car for like 6-7 months before he sold it to me...
troels
SAAB-PSYCHO

26. jul 2014, 19:27

Ok then 14l/100km is High, my guess would be 9-10l/100km. I would Think that A broken lambda would turn on Engine check light. Try and look at the spark plugs Again it shouldnt be that difficult. You dont have DI so just A normal ignition system i believe.
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

26. jul 2014, 20:25

what does 'DI' mean?
troels
SAAB-PSYCHO

26. jul 2014, 21:24

DI is direct ignition and is either red or black.

Like this http://www.cansaab.com/components/com_j ... on9000.jpg

It has no ignition cables.

Troels
Brugeravatar
viking
100% ABSOLUT SAAB WACKO FOR LIFE !!!
100% ABSOLUT SAAB WACKO FOR LIFE !!!

27. jul 2014, 08:02

Only young once, immature for ever.
RACING IS LIFE, anything that happens before or after is just waiting. (Steve Mcqueen)
T16 900 Aero "Lady DI"
T16 900 Cab "Silver Aero"
Saab Sonett III 74
Jag XJ8 4,2 alu "Maggie"
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

27. jul 2014, 09:26

ok i will post a picture soon because my engine bay does not look anything like this ....actualy i seached for pictures of it ....i did not fined one that looks like mine.... + i see all these cars on the web have rev counters...not one is without ....except for mine...i have no idea what i'm doing ...jesus i'm dumb
SGT
SAAB-MANIAC

27. jul 2014, 09:33

Is your bonnet hinged at front or rear?
SAAB är bra! 9000CC 2.0I 1987 hvid, sommerbil.
SAAB 9-5 2.3T Estate MY99 silver, vinterbil.
SAAB 9-5 2.0t Sedan MY01 reservebil.
Div SAAB dele til salg: http://www.guloggratis.dk/search?q=sean+t
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

27. jul 2014, 10:22

at the rear .......it would be way more awsome if it ware at the front ...lol...but i have not seen any saabs like that ....the same age as mine :)
troels
SAAB-PSYCHO

27. jul 2014, 10:40

I Think your Car would look like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 4-2012.JPG

Or is it more like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 0_Ruby.JPG

If you take A picture and Want us to se it then use http://billedeupload.dk and inserat the link beginning with BB.

Troels
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

27. jul 2014, 21:14

troels skrev:I Think your Car would look like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 4-2012.JPG

Or is it more like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 0_Ruby.JPG

If you take A picture and Want us to se it then use http://billedeupload.dk and inserat the link beginning with BB.

Troels

ok here it is

http://billedeupload.dk/images/2bJ85.jpg
http://billedeupload.dk/images/BlZ38.jpg

if the lambda sensor is the blue one on the exhaust than i can tell you that its new...at least it looks realy new..... i llso brushed the spark plugs a bit today....idk what im doing ...
troels
SAAB-PSYCHO

27. jul 2014, 22:15

That is the lambda. :D
Brugeravatar
RuneTonnesen

27. jul 2014, 22:55

Here is a few clues and questions, hope it helps.

The Lambda sensor is the blue wire. Your car is fuel injected if in doubt.

The car should not die when you take your food of the gas. It should be able to idle in 3'rd.

It runs way to rich and it's most likely a defect vacuum line that make it sucks extra air that isn't accounted for by the air mass meter.

How is the idle, is it stable and at what RPM does it idle? (should be 900)

Under the resonator-box is there a few vacuum lines if they snap off or is broken then you have found the issue. If they aren't new do your self a favour and change them, they are cheap. (change one at a time so you don't loose track of the lines)
Billede

Second most likely is a sensor that sends a wrong/skewed signal to the ECU (computer for injection control) that responds with a way to rich mixture when it tries to adapt. The short term fix is to unplug the air mass meter, then it won't try to adapt but run the default setting.

What did the spark plugs look like?

If the lambda sensor is ok, then my best guess would be the temp sensor in the intake manifold is bad (yours is 19 years old by know) if it reads the temp as to low then it compensates with a richer mixture in respond.
Do you have a multimeter to read resistance?
Rune Tønnesen medlemsnummer 709
SAAB 9-3 B204R - Projektbil
SAAB 9-5 Estate 2.2 TID - Daily driver
SAAB - Not For Everyone, Essential to a Few
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

28. jul 2014, 01:27

ok
... 1 i do not have a rev counter i cannot tell you at what revs it stays.... i can only say that i think you are right about the rich mixture ....when i rev it up to (what i think is arrownd 4-5k) it does that extra explosions in the exhaust thing that raly cars usualy do .....soo i do not think that is normal.....this is the main reason why i taught the car was carburated and something went wrong.....
the spark plugs ware dry! and alll except one ware a litle bit worne out i gues ( the extended arm looked like it was tapped with a hammer.)
what are the chanses that i could visit you with my car to talk for 15- 20 min and you take a test drive ... because i realy like this car it pullls insanly good at high revs...and i would like to keep it for a longer time ..
Brugeravatar
RuneTonnesen

28. jul 2014, 21:16

If you live near Copenhagen, the chances are fair
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

28. jul 2014, 23:30

RuneTonnesen skrev:If you live near Copenhagen, the chances are fair

im near Skjern but a trip to copenhagen would not hurt ...i have realy been looking forward for one... i am in Denmark for 8 months and i wanted to there since i first came here :)) (allso the Faroe islands)
thank you very much for your help and if it is ok with you i could pm you when i would be able to make the trip
Brugeravatar
RuneTonnesen

29. jul 2014, 11:25

Send a PM and I'll see
Brugeravatar
marcel
SUPER ULTRA EXTREME SAAB FREAK

29. jul 2014, 23:03

I have an 900 S from 1995 myself. It runs 8,4 l/100 km. Bought af few months ago for 10.000 DKK.
3.500 is VERY cheap! Rememenber you will get at least 1.700 in return if you scrap it. Probabyly 2.000 since it is at rather heavy car.
From what you tell, I would very much consider to scrap it, and buy another 900 - but let someone who knows a litte more about cars (and SAABs) look at it first.
Den der ager med suge kommer også frem
97 - 9000 CSE 2,3 LPT JUBIlee
07 - Subaru Legacy, 2,0 suge, Aut, AWD
Udgået:
95 - 900 S, 2,3 suge
91 - 9000 cc 2,3 T, "Sølvpilen."
88 - 9000 cc 2,0 T, Aut, "Den bordelfarvede"
68 - 96, V4 (x2)
bordura
SAAB NET NYBEGYNDER

29. jul 2014, 23:49

marcel skrev:I have an 900 S from 1995 myself. It runs 8,4 l/100 km. Bought af few months ago for 10.000 DKK.
3.500 is VERY cheap! Rememenber you will get at least 1.700 in return if you scrap it. Probabyly 2.000 since it is at rather heavy car.
From what you tell, I would very much consider to scrap it, and buy another 900 - but let someone who knows a litte more about cars (and SAABs) look at it first.
i completly agree man theese ware my taughts exactly ...thats why i tried to do some research first...
one thing tough did your car allso had those gearbox problems ...from what i understand it usualy happend to these cars ... mine now is doing a verry wierd jolt between engine brake and acceleration.....and i am not sure what it could be ...it could be the engine mounts ...but the engine seems preaty sturdy ....i mean i pushed into abit.....and i could mouve the car ...but the engine was rock solid ...idk ...im gonna see a mechanic soon ...but if you have any idea about the gearbox isues please tell me

Tilbage til "English forum"